As we reflect on the research we have done in 2021, we are grateful to have been able to complete many projects throughout the year. Thanks to our research partners and everyone on the Edison Research Team who made this work possible We shared our findings through webinars and in-person presentations, and now we highlight some of our top findings from 2021.
The points below are not in the order of importance, but they are in the order that best tells the stories of the year.
10. The Republican candidate for Governor in Virginia was vastly more popular with Independents, and that made all the difference.
Source: Election Exit Polls
9. Social media users of differing political ideologies believed the allegations brought against Facebook by whistleblower Frances Haugen. Could the concern around the impact of social media be something that supersedes politics?
Source: The Social Habit
8. The most engaged listeners are the most receptive to advertising messages.
Sources : Radio Live on Air and Everywhere with NPR and Edison Research and The Spoken Word Audio Report from NPR and Edison Research
7. Eighty-nine percent of recent and prospective auto buyers in the U.S. say a broadcast radio tuner should be standard equipment in every car.
Source: The WorldDAB, Radioplayer, NAB, Commercial Radio Australia, Xperi
6. The number of Americans age 13+ who have a paid audio subscription has more than doubled since 2015, from 23% to 48%.
Source: Share of Ear
5. Moms in America are much more likely to own a smart speaker than the average person in the U.S.
Source: Moms and Media
4. Podcasting continues a growth trend as consumption in other countries catches up to the U.S.
Source: The Infinite Dial
3. Podcasts need male and female fans to make it to the top of the charts.
Source: Podcast Consumer Tracker
2. Black podcast listeners have strong connections with podcasts – they would listen to more podcasts if there were more Black hosts, and they are likely to interact with a brand if it is advertised on a podcast with a Black host.
Source: The Black Podcast Listener Report
1. Thirty-six percent of U.S. Latinos age 18+ (16 million people) have listened to a podcast in the last month, which is a 44% increase over 2020.
Source: The Latino Podcast Listener Report 2021
But wait there’s more. We have a bonus point because our Top 10 list goes to 11:
Bonus point: Video continues to become a bigger part of audio discovery and consumption, including listening to podcasts.
Sources: The Infinite Dial from Edison Research and Triton Digital, Black Podcast Listener Report, Podcast Consumer Tracker
THE REPLAY OF THE FULL WEBINAR IS BELOW: