The Infinite Dial Australia, by Edison Research and Triton Digital, is the newest study of digital media consumer behavior in the Infinite Dial series and second annual study to be conducted in Australia. It is modeled after the original Infinite Dial report, which has been conducted yearly in the U.S. since 1998, and was conducted for the first time in Canada last year. The Australian Infinite Dial Study was commissioned by Commercial Radio Australia (CRA), Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) via their PodcastOne subsidiary, and Triton Digital.
Some highlights from the study include:
- Despite the presence of a variety of audio options, radio consumption continues to rise in Australia, with 88% of people aged 12+ having listened to an AM/FM/DAB+ in the last week, up from 85% and outpacing the U.S.’s 65%. Radio is the leading audio platform.
- Radio is the choice for in-car listening, with 89% of people having listened to AM/FM radio in the car in the last month. Seventy percent of Australians use AM/FM radio as the audio source they use most often in-car, leading Canada (63%) and the U.S. (56%).
- Familiarity with the term “podcasting” has grown from 72% to 78% in Australia. Thirteen percent of Australians have listened to a podcast in the last week, up from 10% in 2017. An average of five podcasts are listened to each week by those who are weekly podcast listeners. Fourteen percent of weekly podcasts are by Australian radio stations or Australian radio personalities.
- Facebook usage as “the social media brand used most often” is down from 73% in 2017 to 60% in 2018, but overall social media usage by Australians is up to 82% in this study.
- Ninety percent of Australians own a Smartphone, and 96% of 25-54 year-olds in Australia own a smartphone.
- Regarding Smart Speakers, Google Home leads Amazon Alexa with a 61% awareness versus 28%. Smart speaker ownership is 5% in Australia.
- Netflix remains the most popular on-demand video service, with 41% of Australians subscribing. In the last week in Australia 49% of people have used Netflix, Foxtel Play, Go or Now, Stan or Amazon Prime.
How the study was conducted:
The Australian Infinite Dial study was conducted in the first quarter of 2018 and uses a nationally representative survey of 1009 people and is a random probability telephone sample, comprising both mobile phones and landlines, of all Australians aged 12 and older.
About Edison Research:
Edison Research conducts survey research and provides strategic information to a broad array of clients, including Activision, AMC Theatres, Disney, Dolby Laboratories, Google, Gulf News, the U.S. International Broadcasting Bureau, Pandora, Samsung, Siemens, Sony, Time Warner and Yahoo. Edison Research works with many of the largest American radio ownership groups, including Bonneville, Emmis, Entercom, CBS Radio and Radio One. Another specialty for Edison is its work for media companies throughout the world, conducting research in North America, South America, Africa, Asia, and Europe. Edison Research is the sole provider of election exit poll data for the National Election Pool. Edison is also the leading provider of consumer exit polling and has conducted face-to-face research in almost every imaginable venue.
About Triton Digital:
Triton Digital® is the global technology and services leader to the digital audio and podcast industry. Operating in more than 40 countries, Triton Digital provides innovative technology that enables broadcasters, podcasters, and online music services to build their audience, maximize their revenue, and streamline their day-to-day operations. In addition, Triton Digital powers the global online audio industry with Webcast Metrics®, the leading online audio measurement service, that makes it easy for advertisers and brands to determine the best destination and time to reach their target audiences. Through unparalleled integrity, excellence, teamwork, and accountability, Triton Digital remains committed to connecting audio, audience, and advertisers to continuously fuel the growth of the global online industry.