Edison Research, in partnership with Pandora, Spotify and TuneIn, released a groundbreaking new study of Internet radio usage and adoption, “The New Mainstream: 2013,” on September 24th at Advertising Week in New York City. This online study of 3,016 persons 12+ revealed who these Americans are, how they are using Internet radio, and where Internet radio’s place is in mainstream media consumption.
Principal findings of the study included the following:
• The majority of online Americans 12+ – 53% – currently ever use Internet radio.
• Internet radio is the third most popular way that people discover new music, ahead of Amazon, YouTube, Social Media and other sources.
• 63% of Internet radio listeners own a smartphone–and 83% of smartphone owners listen to some kind of Internet radio on their mobile devices.
• 32% of Internet radio listeners indicated that they are listening to “a lot” more of the medium than they were one year ago
• 26% of Internet Radio users tell us that their listening is mostly ‘new time’ – time not previously filled with audio of any kind