The Podcast Consumer Australia 2017 is a first look at this growing platform in Australia. Patterned on a similar report in the USA, this information adds to Edison’s worldwide dataset on Podcasting. This information is derived from the Infinite Dial Australia 2017 study, which is sponsored by Triton Digital, Commercial Radio Australia, and Southern Cross Austereo. This report shows the current status of podcasting including information on:
• Podcast Consumption
• Device Usage
• Social Media Behaviors
• Other Media Behaviors
Findings of this report include the following:
- A strong majority of Australians (72%) are familiar with the term “podcasting” – higher than in the United States.
- Just under 30% of Australians have ever listened to a podcast, and 17% have listened to one in the last month.
- The audience for podcasts is predominately 18-54, and leans slightly male.
- The Podcast listener is an affluent, educated consumer— and one who is more likely to gravitate to ad-free or ad-light subscription experiences.
- Clicking on a podcast to listen to it immediately (either streamed or via progressive download) is the dominant paradigm for listening, though 27% do subscribe to podcasts.
- Subscribers tend to have been podcast consumers for longer than non-subscribers, consume more podcasts, and are more likely to use their smartphone as their primary podcast player.
- While Home continues to be the most often named location for podcast listening, the vehicle is a strong second.
- Most podcast consumers listen to most of the podcast episodes they download, and the vast majority listen to at least most of each episode.